»

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Preferences


I’m a stay at home mom.  It’s a pretty sweet gig, I must admit.  I can’t imagine having to have left Addalee as a little tiny thing with someone each day and go to work.  So I count it a big blessing that I’ve been able to stay here.  It’s a tough job sometimes, but the hard work is well worth it.

Since I am here with her all the time, Addalee really hasn’t spent much time away from me.  I go to a support group once a month, for about 3 hours each time.  Other than that, I’m pretty much just  a cry away.  A little while back, I noticed how excited she was when her Daddy came home from work.  It was really pretty precious, really.  That sheer joy. 

Well, that preciousness is starting to rub off a bit for me.  See, that girl really only wants her Daddy.  If he’s around, she wants him to hold her, him to play with her, etc.  I’m just kind of there.  You know, the person who does EVERYTHING for her?!  If I reach for her, she turns her back to me and holds on to him!  I mean, she’ll talk to me and giggle with me, but would rather be in his arms.  At first I just brushed it off, but it actually is hurting my feelings a little bit.  Maybe that’s lame.  But it is what it is.  I’ve heard the “Daddy’s girl” thing, but I guess I just expected it not to be so evident!

I feel a little silly even putting this out there, but it’s what’s on my mind right now.  I’m really hoping this is just a phase and she levels back out.  If it’s not, it’s not.  But I can hope, right?

Speaking of Addalee…she’s 9 months old today!  MY GOODNESS!  Where has the time gone?!?!  Next time I turn around, she’s going to be a year old.  I can’t believe it.  Insanity!

4 comments:

  1. I think it's also a novelty thing, as I , "I see you all the time mom, but dad is more rare". I've heard it reverts back, eventually... Or when she skins a knee or pinches a fingers, it's only her momma who can provide comfort. :)

    9 months... Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to let you know that my husband and I have a role reversal. I work and HE stays home! Funny thing, she still clings to him more than me! I still spend a heck of a lot of time with her but I think she's a daddy's girl. So don't feel so bad. Imagine actually having to leave her and go to work and then having her STILL cling to him! Hang in there, I feel ya on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happens with both my kids everyday, my son and daughter, for the last 6 years. I am there all the time and Dad is only there during a couple of wake hours each day. I am the one who hands our discipline, makes them eat what they don't want to, enforces naps and bedtimes. Daddy is there for wrestling, playing in the mud and making messes. I understand your pain 100% with this. BUT when they are sick or hurt, or had a rough day.......its is mommy's arms they come to. I am so grateful to know that they find comfort in my arms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is because she know you are always there. My feeling get hurt sometimes that my boys always want to be with their dad. I try to tell myself it is a really good thing which it is. There will be times in life when she is closer to you and times when she is closer to him. My 14 year old boy is a lot closer to my husband but when he was 2 I hung the moon:) Don't worry there are many wonderful mommy daughter moments in your future!

    ReplyDelete