»

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Uncle Jimmy


I simply love this picture.  It shows my precious great-aunt Thelma (L) and my amazing grandmother, or Grans, as we call her on the right.  But there is someone else in this picture that is so very important.  My Uncle Jimmy.  You see, this precious little boy passed away not too long after this picture was taken.  Little Jimmy was the first child born to my dad's parents.  Unfortunately, he had a heart problem they discovered at birth.  The doctors told his parents that he wouldn't live to be a year old.  Crushing news.  With the famous family hard-headedness, my grandmother (and the rest of the family) set out to prove them wrong.  They did so much for that little guy, worked so hard, loved him endlessly.  Sadly though, he did pass away not long before his first birthday.  My grandparents went on to have 2 more children, both healthy.

I'm now sharing the story of our "Little Jimmy" with you, because he's part of Caroline's family too.  He's always been part of our family.  We've spoken of him, shared his story, dreamed of what he would be like if he'd survived - the oldest child of the family.  It's been over 50 years and he's still thought of.   This warms my heart and gives me hope that maybe our Caroline will be talked about and thought of many years down the road.

My Grans was at the hospital when Caroline was born.  I was so sad that she had to experience the loss of another baby in her life.  But, she got to meet her great granddaughter, hold her, kiss her soft cheeks, and whisper loving words to her...priceless gifts.  And a priceless gift that Grans continues to give me, is that she makes sure to mention how many great granddaughters she has...4.  Not only the 3 living girls, but always including our sweet Caroline. 

5 comments:

  1. Love this granny of yours. And I love that Jimmy has been remembered all of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that little Jimmy is still talked about and loved <3 As will Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet - just what we want for our babies. And I love that your Grans includes Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its heartbreaking to know that a family member has to go through your loss even after their own. My mom did the same. Her first child died from extreme prematurity, but my brother and I always knew of him. We knew he existed, even if only for a few hours. My mom was such a comfort after I lost Addie, and still is. A sad bond, yes, but one that I am thankful for. She always knows exactly what to say and how to comfort me. Its wonderful to know, that in some families, children gone too soon will always be remembered

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello :)

    I found your blog on the Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope website. I am so sorry for your loss. Caroline is such a beautiful, timeless name. I love your blog design.

    This post especially grabbed my attention because not only did I lose my daughter, Lily Katherine, who was stillborn at fullterm on March 16, 2010, but I also lost an aunt. She would be nearly 50 now. My mom was the first of seven and she was the seventh. Her name is Rachel Ross and she too was born with a heart condition. She died on the operating table at UVA when she was three months old. She has always been included in the family and is mentioned often. My grandmother has been going to Compassionate Friends meetings for decades. Before my loss, I would go to meetings with her, never dreaming I'd need to go myself. Rachel Ross is very much loved and a part of the family and so will my Lily Katherine always be. So will your Caroline. Even in 50 years. It has been special to have that bond with my grandmother, although of course I wish she never had to know this pain as I do.

    Remembering your Uncle Jimmy and my Aunt Rachel today...thinking of all that could have been, should have been. How many more cousins there would be, what would their laughs sound like...so many thoughts. It's comforting to know they are in Heaven with our girls.

    I'd love for you to follow my blog as well: www.roseandherlily.blogspot.com

    Blessings, Hannah Rose

    ReplyDelete